Friday, July 26, 2013

Geeking out

Day 8: Fredericton, NB, to Newmarket, NH
Mileage total: 1,572
Final route:


While the drive from Halifax to Fredericton was long and sometimes stressful, when I woke to sunshine coming into the hotel room, I was very happy. I done good. Now I had a whole day to relax.

And what better way to relax than at a living history museum! Wheee!

I'm guessing I lost half of you just now. I totally understand.

King's Landing Historical Settlement is huge! They recommend four hours to see it all. I spent about five. But I'm also the jerk standing next to you snapping a million pictures in a place like this. That can slow a girl down. But I like that they have recreated a small village of British loyalists, black loyalists from the States, and Irish laborers. You get to see how each socioeconomic layer lived (white paint meant you were doing well; renting meant no voting rights [along with breasts and skin tone]). I tasted a fig cookie fresh out of a wood stove (why yes, it was warm in that kitchen) and got to scratch a giant pig behind the ear. I was in my history-geek heaven.

Gladys, roll the tape...


This is just a portion of the settlement. Horse-drawn carriages come around like taxis
to get you from place to place if need be.


For people who have been in a car with me when I see sheep and I squeal, "Sheepies!"
--I also do this when I'm alone.

Just out taking my ox for a walk...

It was surprisingly soft and gentle. I want one!


This is my second time in the Saint John River Valley. It is absolutely beautiful.

This woman was taking pictures of horse poop. No lie.


Seriously--beach roses line the walkway to the door. Sigh...

Yes, just remove the insect from your plate and slip it on the underside.

Rug hooking in progress.



Visiting the smithy.
Yummy crisp apple salad.

Just a dude playing the dulcimer for your enjoyment.


Chillin', 19th century style.

Bonnet


Practice potty!



Her piglets were in a barn behind me.
Sweet horse done working for the day.

Inside the black loyalist house, which was one room rented out to a family of four.
The grounds are so beautiful that two movies have been filmed here, and staff have worked as extras. Copperhead is just out now. It appears to have gotten mixed reviews, but I'll be checking it out soon.

Heading home is always full of mixed feelings. I look forward to the comfort of home, but I am still basking in my adventures. As I pulled off at a rest stop to nibble one of the cookies my boss baked for me with her daughter (shout out to the Cartons!), I enjoyed the sun and thought about how lucky I am. I have a lot of love around me and a lot of people who challenge me to be the best version of myself. The people I have spent time with this past week have all been incredibly kind and thoughtful and open. Some folks have expressed sympathy that I cut my trip a little short, but I'm completely happy. It's been an awesome week.
 And man am I lucky--my cats don't punish me when I go away. They're just happy that I'm home.

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment